Phase One : Sunday Morning, 11 am
On Sunday February 7th, 1904 most of Baltimore was looking forward to a quiet Sunday afternoon.
The firefighters at Engine Co. 15 were preparing for morning inspection at 11 am. However, at 10:48 am they received an automatic alarm at the John E. Hurst & Company, located between Hopkins Place and Liberty Street on the south side of German Street (now Redwood). The Salvage Corps responded first, as did Fifth District Engineer Levin Burkhardt, Engine 15 and Truck 2.